Black Horse Bridge Closure
Posted on 11th January 2021 at 13:07
The Black Horse Bridge will be closed for works mid-feb for 10-12 weeks.
Re: Advance Notification - Black Horse Canal Bridge Refurbishment
Milton Keynes Council (MKC) will be carrying out significant refurbishment and improvement works on the Black Horse Canal Bridge located on Wolverton Road, Great Linford between mid-February to April 2021.
The works will be delivered by MKC’s Highways service provider Ringway. This scheme forms part of Milton Keynes Council ongoing commitment to upgrading and improving the bridge stock and road network.
The works will include:
• Essential repairs to the bridge structure and waterproofing treatments to the bridge deck, which requires partial closure of the carriageway.
• Rights of Way - Landscape & Countryside team will be undertaking surface improvements to a section of Great Linford bridleway 006, from the canal up to the bridge.
Work to the bridge needs to be completed to keep it safe and well maintained into the future. This section of road sees a high volume of traffic every day including heavy vehicles and so the bridge needs to be able to cope with this.
The first stage of the work will be taking off the top layer of road to access the structure beneath. Repair works will then take place and a new waterproofing system will be laid. Finally, a new road surface and reinstated road markings will be completed and new steel parapets at either side of the bridge will be installed.
In the operation and maintenance of highway networks it is necessary to put in place traffic management measures to facilitate safe road works and incident management. To enable the works to be carried out safety, each lane will be closed utilising temporary traffic lights for the duration of the site works.
Detailed preparations have been underway to minimise the impact of the road closure and ensure continuity of operation for business and emergency services.
The work is expected to start around mid-February 2021, and it is anticipated that the work will take 10 to 12 weeks to complete.
The following activities will be undertaken to upgrade the structure to ensure the bridge’s future integrity:
• Installation of Traffic Management under partial road closure
• Temporary supporting of statutory undertakers’ apparatus
• Cold milling (planing) of the carriageway to expose the bridge deck
• Installation of a new waterproofing system over the bridge deck
• Construction of ground foundation edge beams
• Upgrading the parapets to current standards
• Installation of approach and departure safety barriers
• Works to the re-alignment of the bridleway
• Resurfacing of the carriageway and footways
• Remedial works to the bridge
Traffic delays are expected during the works and the public are advised to find alternative routes avoiding Wolverton Road.
Black Horse Canal bridge is located at OS grid reference 484568E 242353N and was constructed circa 1964. It carries C140 Wolverton Road over the Grand Union Canal and the adjacent towpath.
Share this post: